Wednesday, August 13, 2008

August Bloom Day 2008


I’m running seven hours behind on Bloom Day! Oh no! I certainly hope Carol at May Dreams will forgive me. I’ve been so busy I just absolutely forgot until Phillip reminded me in the wee hours of the evening last night. So here are some blooms from the garden.

The Blackberry lily has finally decided to bloom and Jamie is so excited about it. He’s been waiting so patiently to see it. Here’s his reward.


Blackberry Lily


The Vitex is still blooming. I just couldn’t resist posting this picture with the Butterfly. How many miles do you suppose these tattered little wings have flown? He wasn’t the least bit shy either.

Vitex


I am absolutely IN LOVE with Joe-Pye Weed. It’s the prettiest thing I’ve seen in a long time. The Bees just love it! Surprisingly I haven’t seen a lot of butterflies hanging around it.

Joe Pye Weed


I think we will finish up with four of the five Crepe Myrtles we have. The ‘Tonto’ hasn’t started to bloom yet. I was really hoping to post all five of them at the same time. Unfortunately, ‘Tonto has decided to be fashionably late to the party.

'Natchez"

Natchez


'Rosado'

Rosado


'Tuscarora'

Tuscarora


'Zuni'

Zuni

10 comments:

Curmudgeon said...

Your crepe myrtles are wonderful. Enjoyed your GBBD post.
--Curmudgeon

Gail said...

Hello,

Your Crape Myrtles are stellar...I was completely shocked at how big Natchez has grown in my garden!
How tall will Rosado get?

Thanks for a good tour, Gail

Phillip Oliver said...

I knew you could do it! ;)

The Joe Pye weed is nice. I bought some several years ago and planted it and forgot to water it and it died.

Anonymous said...

My blackberry lilies have not started blooming yet, so you are ahead of me on that. The Joe Pye weed is very nice. I have been considering putting some in my garden for some time now. Crepe myrtles are looking lovely.

Jan
Always Growing

Cosmo said...

Hi, Randy--I love the pciture of the butterfly on the vitex--what a shot. My Joe Pye isn't quite blooming--it's in part shade, which may delay it, but I think generally we might be a couple of weeks behind you. I love to see what's growing in your Eden--it's so beautiful.

Randy said...

Triple W,
I'm glad you enjoyed the crepe myrtle blooms. I wish Tonto was blooming so I could have gotten all of them posted. :-)

Gail,
Honestly, when I planted the Natchez I had no idea how large they would get. But, they are in the ground now and they do have enough space to grow where they are, I hope they will be okay.

Phillip,
With that new irrigation system you are putting in, that shouldn't be a problem in the future.

Jan,
I think you would really like the Joe-Pye. The cultivar I have is 'Little Joe'. Give it a try. :-)

Cosmos, I saw his tattered wings and I couldn't resist posting the picture. So far, he's the only one that has posed for me. :-)

Annie in Austin said...

Hello Randy and Jamie,

Is the 'Zuni' the crepe myrtle that's in the new center bed? (That project looks spectacular already, BTW!)

Everything in my garden is stunted and barely surviving - I can't believe the size of the vitex blooms or the lushness of the Joe Pye...which seldom looked like that in Illinois. You sure are making Alabama look like Eden!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Randy said...

Annie,
That's a Tuscarora in the new bed. The Zuni trees have been patiently waiting to be place in their new home in the bed that will be created by the drive way. I wasn't planning on putting in that bed until next year, but I found all the shrubs I had planned on putting in there 90% off and the Zunis (which we just happened to want too for the same bed) were marked down from 40 to 7 dollars, I couldn't let that bargain pass me by.

Carol Michel said...

I'll forgive you for posting late if you'll forgive me for commenting late. Your photos are beautiful, very vibrant colors!

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

Roses and Lilacs said...

Bloom day is my favorite. So many lovely photos. Your garden still has a lot of color when my garden is definitely winding down. This is when my lack of three season planning comes back to bite me:)
Marnie